Today I will introduce you to a dessert – but not any type of dessert. It’s a pastry with curd! In Austria it’s called “Topfentascherl”. Because of its deliciousness it’s something special, something you cannot get everyday. But for eating it once in a while it’s just perfect! It’s very popular because it is simple, good to combine with all types of fruit and not loaded with sugar. As you make it yourself, it is automatically healthier than any type of ready-made cake from the supermarket. You can easily adjust the recipe to your wants, by for example adding apricots or banana to it – that is entirely your choice! This way, you have exactly the dish you want and know exactly what you’re giving your body – which is very important when eating healthy!
The process of making it is usually rather complex, but I found an easy way how to make them without having to stand three hours in the kitchen. I want to show you how to do it and give you the opportunity to find your maybe new favourite sweet! Have fun trying it!
For 18 pieces:
- 450 g flour + some for when rolling out the dough
- 100 g brown sugar
- 1 packet of baking powder
- 1 packet of yeast
- 1 packet of vanilla sugar
- 1 egg
- 250 ml lukewarm milk
- 80 ml sunflower oil (or another type of neutral oil)
- 30 g butter
- 1 packet of vanilla sugar
- 60 g brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 250 g curd
- 1 tbs vanilla pudding powder
- 2 tbs milk
- grated lemon zest
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp rum
- Preheat the oven to 200°C , putting the oven tray into the middle of it.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, yeast and vanilla sugar into a pot. Separate the egg yolk and the egg white and whisk the egg yolk into the mixture. Put the egg white to the side, you will need it later. Then, add the milk and the sunflower oil to the pot and use the kneader machine to make a smooth dough – this can take up to five to seven minutes. When you’re done, the batter should not stick to the rim of the pot anymore, but if it does, add as much flour as needed until it doesn’t stick anymore. If the dough is too dry however, add more oil. Put the pot to the side.
- Now that you have done the basis of the recipe, let’s get to the more delicious part – the filling! Combine butter, vanilla sugar, and sugar. When these ingredients form a nice mixture, add the egg yolk and mix everything. Then, pour the curd into the pot and blend again. Now put the vanilla powder, milk, lemon and salt into it and stir. Finish the filling by pouring the rum and as many raisins as you wish into the mixture – quickly whisk everything and you’re ready for the last step!
- Roll out the dough you made before on a floured surface so that it’s about 3-4 mm thick. Cut out 20 x 20 cm pieces and fill each of them with some filling. Now close the pastry by putting each corner to the middle to form a square. Take the egg white you put aside before and coat every piece of dough with it. After you’re finished, put all little tarts on a baking tray and put them into the oven for 20 min. at 200°C.
This recipe is so good, even while writing it I would love to eat one of them again. I hope you enjoy the baking as much as I do!